Tuesday 27 September 2011

ToraTora Mountain Bike Park

I know I am meant to be recording my training for the Taupo Ironman in March but this week I had the opportunity to get some cross training in. Greg decided he would show me around the new(ish) ToraTora mountain bike park just out of Martinborough. 
The weather was looking dubious as we headed over the hill, we arrived just before 10am, about the same time as the rain.  We had a quick chat with the owner and were off.  The ride started with a quick warm up along a gravel road, turned left onto some farm land (Greg's group missed this turn off last time resulting in them biking a few extra kms down the road - you DON'T want to miss it!).  After a few hundred metres the track headed into the bush and onto a nicely prepared track.  I took my cross country  bike, some other riders we met took both their XC and single speeds.  I think the track would be suitable for cyclocross bikes as well.  We did the main loop, which is about 14km including the road section to and from the start.  The ride itself was enjoyable, pretty much all rideable with some neat little down hills and I'm sure there would be some stunning views on a good day. On the way out the weather packed in.  Back at the start, the owner showed us some true Wairarapa hospitality and let me use the shower attached to the cottage.


I had hoped to take some great photos and record some action footage but the weather and constant chain suck didn't allow it.  It just means that I will have to go there again, bummer!  Greg and I are thinking about taking our cross country bikes to ride the main course followed by another lap on the downhill bikes to explore the other down hill tracks. Overall it's a track that can be as challenging or as easy as you want to make it.


To visit their web page, click here


The loop.



ToraTora in relation to Wellington.





No comments:

Post a Comment