Sunday 2 October 2011

Best Run In Wellington

12 weeks since my operation,  8 weeks of training, 22 weeks until the New Zealand Ironman and another good week of base training.

This week was an easy week for running. The opertation seems to have been a huge success but for some unknown reason, I'm getting a burning sensation in my right achilles tendon+.  The physio thinks it's due to weak muscles and will come right, I'm certainly hoping so.

Key training for this week:
Saturday
Run from YMCA (Kiwi Ranch) at the bottom of the Rimutakas into the Tararuas to the first hutt (Smiths Creek).  It is my all time favourite run, beautiful forest, nice terrain and in the summer the river is great to take a dip in.

Sunday - Vets Wairarapa Cycle Challenge
Despite waking up to heavy rain and coming close to turning off my alarm and going back to sleep, I got up and got ready.  The weather improved and I stuck to my plan to bike over the Rimutakas.  As I cruised into Featherston I was amazed to see so many cyclists warming up.  I'm not sure how many people entered but it certainly looked like a fantastic turnout.

Once again, I started near the back thinking I would be able to work my way to the front.  WRONG!!!!!
The pace was insane from the start, too many cyclists going backwards causing too many gaps to bridge. The only silver lining was that there were some great riders in my bunch.  We worked well together and managed to limit the amount of time lost to the front bunch.  The ride home was a little tough due to a strong head wind going UP the Rimutakas.

A big thank you to the Vets (Wellington Veterans Cycling Club) for putting on another great event.

Run on Saturday


Ride on Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment