Saturday 5 January 2013

Ten Rounds with Mike Tyson


Ok, so it wasn’t quite like going 10 rounds with Mike Tyson, but it was HARD!

I arranged to have a ‘Boot Camp’ in Nelson with Gary and Susie.  They were fantastic hosts, nothing was ever a problem and they made sure I got on the plane with absolutely nothing left in the tank or my legs.

I thought about listing all the highlights but there were simply too many.  A couple of the ‘major’ highlights were:

Running the Abel Tasman



Kaiteriteri Beach

Doesn't get better than this!!!

It was a beautiful day, we caught the ferry from Kaiteriteri to Tonga Quarry .   The run was superb.  In the 2nd to last kilometre I felt myself starting to blow, so I picked up the pace trying to drop them.  I not only failed to drop them, I got dropped on the last kilometre.  Mental note – never try and out run runners.  2:53hrs/27.2kms in the bank!

At the start

 

 
Another beautiful beach.







Long ride around the outskirts of Nelson – Another amazing day lead to a long scenic ride through the hills and valleys of Nelson. The coke stop near the end topped off the ride for me.
 


Snow capped mountains in the back ground.

Early morning swim – Susie and I went for a swim in Tahunanui, absolutely picturesque!



It was nicer to swim in than it looks.

Best Bike Ride in New Zealand – Downhillers pay for shuttle runs, I think cyclists would pay for this ride.  The three of us drove to St Arnaud (Lake Rotoiti), where Gary and I suited up and prepared ourselves for the fastest ride of our lives.  We were riding mostly downhill with a strong tail wind behind us – St Arnaud to Nelson.  There were times I felt uneasy due to spending so much time in the aero bars spinning out my biggest gear.  It really was a case of just holding on and enjoying the ride.




Gary and I at Lake Rotoiti






No comments:

Post a Comment