Monday 23 January 2012

Dealing With Demons

Going into Ironman, I know I have a few demons to deal with.

Swim:
I start too hard and end up hyperventilating causing me to slow down to regain my composure. 
Goal - to start slow and ease into it.
Training - I am training to be stronger for the 2nd half of the swim.

Bike:
Again, going too hard early and smashing my quads. 
Goal - To keep my watts low and steady.
Training -  Last Wednesday I attempted the Pahiatua Loop (over the Rimutakas, up to Pahiatua, over the pass, down the coast to Waikanae and back over the Akatarawas.  Due to a broken spoke and a tyre blowing out, I only got as far as Waikanae.  I learnt that I can easily hold 225 watts for 8hrs or 240kms and my nutrition is on the right track.

















Run:
Running!  After years of having to walk home due to my calves locking up, it's hard to train for something that has been physically impossible for 3 years.  I thought after my operation I would somehow be this amazing runner.  Someone forgot to tell me that I’d still need to put in A LOT of hours teaching the dormant muscles to work and getting my legs used to running again. 
Goal - To be able to run more than 30kms (that's how far I ran last year)
Training - Before I had compartment syndrome my favourite run was to Staglands and back.  I’ve always thought that once I could achieve this again, then I'd be well on the road to recovery.

 About two weeks ago I knocked the bugger off! 

I started slow and made it to Staglands.  It was easy to run 16km one way.  Once I stopped for a snack I realised just how tired my legs were and I still had to run out!  Despite having the Ironman shuffle, I managed to run the whole way out - and have a week off running.

No comments:

Post a Comment